Sunday, February 22, 2015

Glory Response

Part 1:

I found Glory to be a decent movie.  I think that it portrayed the "feel of the times" very well in displaying the racism and other struggles that the 54th regiment Massachusetts had to go through.  With that being said I felt that the movie was very predictable, which slightly detracted from the viewing experience.  I also think that the movie could have focused on developing and telling the stories of more of the men.


Part 2:

This question really confuses me.  I don't think that there is ever really a good reason that a person would choose to die for purely their country.  What some people would call dying for one's country, especially in this movie, is really dying trying to help themselves.  The men of the 54th were there not for the country, but because they wanted to get out of slavery.


Part 3:

The significance of this story is that it shows how far African Americans needed to come in this country to be considered equals to Caucasians.  It shows the struggles that they went through, and how they worked just as hard as any other person in the war to fight for their freedom.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting point in part two - "What some people would call dying for one's country, especially in this movie, is really dying trying to help themselves. The men of the 54th were there not for the country, but because they wanted to get out of slavery." I never really thought of it that way, but I suppose for some this is a pretty accurate explanation for why they fought. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete